Glossary beginning with R

Peppered with unusual terms and descriptive phrases, the language of the antiques world is colourful to say the least. With our handy glossary, you'll soon be able to distinguish your maiolica from majolica and your chinoiserie from cloisonne.


A type of chasing in metalwork that involves first pushing out shapes from the reverse and then pushing back to create the finer details.


Also known as 'rocaille'. Term used to describe an unequal form of decoration seen in Rococo wares.


A decorative style which formed as a reaction to Baroque in the 18th century. Rococo includes flamboyant scrollwork and asymmetrical embellishment.


This term describes a variety of wine glasses which are distinguishable by their wide bowl and thick stem.

We use cookies to improve your experience of our website. Cookies perform functions like recognising you each time you visit and delivering advertising messages that are relevant to you. Read more here